Natural Alternative Approach
for Headache and Migraine Sufferers
At our Toronto clinic, acupuncture and moxibustion have been used to treat headaches and migraines for over 20 years.
Headache and Migraine Treatment at Our Toronto Acupuncture Clinic
- Health and Pain Evaluation Session – includes review of health and headache history, Traditional East Asian Medicine examinations, and overview of our specialized treatment with a large screen presentation.
- Acupuncture – Traditional acupuncture treatment applied on specific acupuncture points located on both front and back part of the body.*
- Moxibustion – Comfortable heat is applied to selected acupuncture points.* Indirect moxa increases local blood flow and relaxes tight muscles.
- HRV Biofeedback Breathing Therapy – A patient’s respiration is gently guided to most desirable rhythm to optimize autonomic nervous system (ANS). A proper ANS regulation is important for blood flow of head and neck.
- Acupressure Massage –Selected acupoints are stimulated utilizing heat generating natural herbal cream to stimulate circulation and enhance relaxation.
- Kampo Herbal Medicine (optional)
* The exact treatment approach including points stimulated by acupuncture will vary depending on each individual’s situation and some factors such as:
- Type of Headaches (e.g., tension headache, migraine, cluster headache, sinus headache etc.)
- Active or dormant status of headache. For migraines and cluster headaches, in particular, a different treatment approach is required depending on the actual pain status.
- Causes or possible triggers: such as stress, menstrual cycle (female hormones), foods, weather etc.
- Each individual’s constitutional body type based on Traditional East Asian Medicine.
Not all acupuncture treatments produce the same effects or benefits: Currently, acupuncture is performed by not only professionally trained acupuncturists or Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioners but also by a variety of practitioners such as physiotherapists, naturopaths, or chiropractors. It should be noted that even among qualified acupuncturists, the techniques used vary greatly according to each one’s training background.
The acupuncture system used at The Pacific Wellness Institute is an individual based holistic approach that is designed to address the root cause of the headaches. Acupuncture points and procedures vary from patient to patient and session to session. Within the same individual, the treatment is further modified, depending on the characteristics of pain.
The primary focus of our headache and migraine treatment is to decrease the frequency and intensity of headache episodes. Our treatment is different than “pain killers” that offer only a temporal relief. (Read more regarding acupuncture and NSAIDs).
Acupuncture Treatment for Migraine Headaches explains further regarding acupuncture treatment procedures, with empirical and scientific rationale.
Our clinic is located at 80 Bloor Street West, Suite 1100 (At the corner of Bay and Bloor Street in Toronto). If you are interested in receiving treatments, please follow New Patient Application procedures or please call us at 416-929-6958.
Related links regarding migraine headaches, acupuncture, and other treatments provided at The Pacific Wellness Institute, Toronto Clinic:
Call Now 416-929-6958
or Book an Appointment Online